Apply for a Job
Looking for an entrepreneurial sabbatical in New Orleans? Want to be part of an entrepreneurial renaissance?
The Idea Village, a New Orleans-based non-profit organization with a mission to create change through entrepreneurship, is seeking a team of seasoned entrepreneurs (Entrepreneurs-in-Residence) to direct our core entrepreneur programs over the 2013-2014 Entrepreneur Season.
We’re looking for innovators, for strategic thinkers with a track record of making decisions and getting things done within entrepreneurial organizations. You may be a preacher of the Lean Startup gospel, a daring serial entrepreneur looking for the next idea to fund, or a tech evangelist who keeps up with all of the latest trends. The right fit for this role is someone who enjoys mentoring, working with others, and helping budding entrepreneurs build great products and companies. The ability to analyze and work with a wide range of early-stage companies across a variety of industries is critical…as is the desire to contribute to the growing entrepreneurial movement in New Orleans.
New Orleans is fast-becoming a magnet for entrepreneurs – and those who believe in them. Dubbed the “Coolest Startup City in America” by INC.com, New Orleans was also ranked #1 on Forbes’ list of “America’s Biggest Brain Magnets” and as the #3 City for technology jobs. With a reputation for fun and a culture deep-rooted in connectivity and engagement, we’re looking for seasoned entrepreneurial talent to help support, and scale the city’s next great businesses.
If you’re considering this opportunity, you know that launching a business is a wild adventure and feel comfortable with a wide range of daily activity. Come take the journey with us…
1. Manage IDEAxcelerator: IDEAxcelerator is The Idea Village’s accelerator program. The Idea Village selects up to 15 promising, early-stage high growth ventures with the goal of accelerating their success and launching them during key investor- and community-facing events including Demo Day in December and New Orleans Entrepreneur Week in March. EIRs will work closely with all 15 portfolio companies, providing mentorship and strategic guidance, helping to allocate professional resources and drive toward key deliverables and decisions. They will also connect entrepreneurs with our extensive network of investors, analysts, professionals, service providers and other successful NOLA entrepreneurs.
Desired Profile: You have successfully started and scaled a company – or two, or three. You have been though the murky, sometimes lonely, startup waters, know firsthand what it takes to get a business up and running, and are excited by the opportunity to help others launch their own journey.
Timeline: This contract will begin at the end of Aug. 2013 (for reviewing applications & selecting finalists), and the IDEAxcelerator program will run from Sept. 27, 2013 through Dec. 13, 2013.
2. Manage IDEAsessions: IDEAsessions are 90-minute, action-oriented strategy meetings with new and existing startups and local businesses. Entrepreneurs come to The Idea Village to help frame and tackle a specific strategic challenge in the single 90-minute session, ranging from concept development and refinement through capital access and organizational structure. EIRs facilitate IDEAsessions, identify next steps, and provide a high-level summary of each session. In general, next steps should be clear and actionable for the entrepreneur.
Desired Profile: You have a passion for strategy and critical thinking. You are motivated by helping others tackle business challenges and are able to deliver actionable advice across all industries in a short amount of time.
Timeline: Flexible (Aug. 2013 – Feb. 2014).
3. Manage Capital Village: The Idea Village hosts numerous capital access opportunities for equity, grants, and debt called “Capital Village.” Participating entrepreneurs are selected through a rigorous nomination process and Idea Village EIRs provide strategic consulting to help entrepreneurs develop and refine their funding pitches.
Desired Profile: You have successfully raised a variety of capital, know firsthand how to manage the responsibility that comes along with investment, and are interested in coaching entrepreneurs looking to raise seed, angel, and venture funds.
Timeline: Flexible (Nov. 2013 – March 2014).
• Minimum of 10-15 years of general management and/or entrepreneurial/startup work experience
• BA required
• Communication; leadership; analytical and strategic thinking; organizational skills; cross functional and process
• Desire to coach, mentor, and advise entrepreneurs
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented flat organization
Passion for building the New Orleans entrepreneurial community
Employment Status: 4-8 month contract opportunities available.
Compensation: Monthly stipend.
If interested, please submit a cover letter and resume by July 1, 2013 to:
515 Girod St., New Orleans, LA 70130
office: 504.304.3285 fax: 504.304.3294
The Idea Village Operations Manager
Overview: Operations Management at Idea Village is responsible for all technology, process management, measurement, (data capture, data management, and reporting). The objective of the group is to ensure that Idea Village provides world-class service by leveraging technology to maximize impact on entrepreneurs and internal efficiencies. The Operations Manager reports directly to the Managing Director for Operations.
Work in partnership with Product Management, Network Relations, and Marketing
Strategic Planning: Identify, Design and Implement process enhancement solutions to improve operational efficiencies using technology
Delivery of products and services to Entrepreneurs and Partners
Manage all outside technology vendor relationships required to support operations at Idea Village
Improve the efficiencies of data capture and management
Define scanning solution to support entrepreneur membership model
Support Controller for all reporting needs
Budget management and tracking support
Manage the (organization metrics) and ongoing reporting
Manage all Website and CRM system functionality
donor database to support Development and Fundraising effort
Desktop Publishing effort
Build technology partnerships to help support the mission
Represent Idea Village in the Ecosystem to promote the message
Leverage technology strategy expertise to provide direct technical assistance for portfolio entrepreneurs
BA Required and MBA preferred
3 – 5 years of technology experience
Data management, analytics and reporting
CRM experience (Salesforce.com preferred)
Web programming experience preferred
Technology Vendor Management experience
Skills: Analytics; Programming skills; Strategic Thinking; Communication; High-volume multi-tasking; Organizational skills; Process management; Interpersonal skills; Superior Excel and PowerPoint skills
Employment Status: This is a fulltime staff position.
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with experience.
ABOUT THE IDEA VILLAGE:
Founded in 2000, The Idea Village is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization with a mission to identify, support, and retain entrepreneurial talent in New Orleans. The Idea Village has solidified its position as a leading driver of entrepreneurship and over the last 13 years, the organization has provided direct support to over 3,000 New Orleans entrepreneurs by engaging a global network of over 2,400 individuals to allocate 72,295 consulting hours and $3.45 million in seed capital. Collectively, this portfolio generates over $100 million in annual revenue and has created well over 2,000 jobs for the New Orleans community.
The Idea Village is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, disability, age, or sexual orientation.